Friday, May 19, 2006

And Then You Find One

Saturday night Lynn and I were trying to figure out where we would go to church. We were pretty much out of ideas. We thought we'd just go back to one of the many that we had previously visited.

Then, right around bedtime I remembered a new church plant I read about online the very weekend that I moved to Augusta back in August. I had just found their new location a couple of days earlier (they had moved since August and I lost track of them). So, we got up, drove across the river, made the customary Sunday morning stop at Starbucks, and made our way to Quest Church.

Now, if you've read any of my blogs over the months you know that I have a tendency to find a lot of things wrong with Western Churchianity. But on Sunday morning Lynn and I found a whole lot of things RIGHT during our visit to Quest. From the moment we walked in we knew that we were among people of authenticity who were truly on a "quest" to know Christ in more intimate ways and to carry Christ out of the building and into the city.

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were blessed to find people who were genuinely happy to see us, people who seriously knew how to show hospitality, people who were more interested in experiencing a connection with God than they were with service programming.

The music was great...not happy clappy, not somber & sorrowful, but calm and worshipful. The message was Biblical, the eucharist was celebrated, and the interactive time of people praying for one another was beautiful.

I had lunch with this pastor Wednesday and feel like I've finally found a kindred spirit in this city who more than anything else wants to see lost people find their way to Christ. I'm looking forward to a new friendship with John and the people of Quest.

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Bob Carder said...

Wow, there really are Churches doing it right. Thanks for the encouragement and for the hope of the Church in America. May this Church be blessed to reproduce over and over again.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger ann said...

Congrats, Bill. I'm sure this is a blessing for you both.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Thanks Ann.

Yes...it will be a blessing for us. We've been hoping to find another pastor and a group of people that we can be in relationship with while we're working to plant Epic.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Hiya!

Yeah...he's okay. He has some pretty radical ideas about church though...I wonder if they could ever really catch on. ;-)

Good to see you buddy...welcome to the Epic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home