Wednesday, June 14, 2006

An Unusual Experience

It´s 1:45 pm in the little Bolivian township of Ixiamas. I´ve just finished another plate of rice and chicken-like substance. I took a few moments to come to the internet cafe and e-mail my wife and in that e-mail I expressed to her that unlike the previous 4 years of coming on this trip, this time my mind is occupied with the things of home - keeping me from really connecting with what´s going on here.

As I think about this, it is a good thing. In previous years this trip was somewhat of an escape for me. A time to draw away from the realities of life and hide out in the jungle for a week with people who don´t expect anything from me, except a smile. Lynn has always been in my thoughts while away, but this year I find myself thinking more about her than ever before; our breakfasts together, our evenings together, etc. I find myself thinking about our neighbors and really wanting to invest more time in getting to know them. I find myself thinking about the ministry opportunities God is opening up for us and the new vision he has given us for the city of Augusta.

For the first time - in 5 trips - my heart is more strongly connected with the things of home than the things of this place. It´s only Wednesday...yet I am ready to be home.

All of this is not to say that God isn´t doing great things here...He is! Awesome things are happening each day. Come on over to Rio de Vida to hear about some of them.

Looking forward to rejoining you, the readers of this blog, in a few days as well.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

......just read your article sent by a friend. For the past 15 years I have been close to the town you just described. Are you near the "Twin Oaks" ? Chnces are we know some of the same people...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home